Thursday, March 15, 2012

Don't we all have ADD?

ADD, otherwise known as Attention Deficit Disorder has been my buddy since I could remember. He is a fun little thing I have and the effects of it, I have found, can relate to us all spiritually in a way!  The effects include, and are not limited to: forgetfulness, lack of concentration, scattered thoughts, obsession over certain things for a while and so on. Having ADD and going through school made everything pretty tough, especially when I would zone off and not listen and not learn what I needed to learn in class, it was almost as if my mind forgot the whole purpose of being at school which is to pay attention and learn so I can grow and get good grades, go to college, get a degree and get a job so I can raise and support my family. So really I am going to school so I can raise and support a family, but in High School that was so far out of sight, I would let myself zone out and not really care too much. That led to bad grades and not getting into my desired college. 

 

It seems sometimes that we all have a little spiritual ADD! Let's look at the purpose of life here as spoken by Amulek.

"For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors."
-Alma 34:32

So, according to this verse, the purpose of this life is for us to prepare to meet God through our works! A lot of times, I find my self forgetting this important point, I forget the big picture! The end result of why we are here is to have Eternal Life! So then why do we at times forget this! Eternal life will be the happiest state we could be in... EVER!!! But sometimes we, myself included, are too near-minded to realize this. We make decisions because they seem fun at the time and not because they bring us closer to our end goal. Just like with me in High School, when I didn't picture the end goal I slacked and the ADD kicked in. 

I would encourage all who read this to try and remember your purpose here, remember where you are going, and do what you have to do to get there. It doesn't matter if it is uncool, inconvenient, or whatever your excuse might be, make sure everything we do will bring us closer to that goal. If you don't know whether it will or not, look to the example of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He set a perfect example for us to follow.


 


The right way isn't always the lame way, in fact, it is the way that makes you truly the happieest you can be here on Earth and also in the life to come! So be happy, follow Christ's example, and never forget to SMILE!

Much love.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent blog Elder White! Very good parable indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chris,
    How are you doing? We miss you being here. I am sure you probably don't miss the weather here. :) This is an excellent read! I got a lot out of it. Take care and give a call or write sometime we would love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete