Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Sick?

Doctors, I don't know too many people who like to go to the doctors, especially for checkups. Every time that I would go in, all he would want to do is stab me with a needle and tell me what I need to do to be healthier. I saw no purpose in making those trips and having those appointments. I never liked listening to his advice either unless I was sick or injured in some way.

I have recently come to reflect upon the reasons why we go to the Doctor in the first place. He is there to keep us healthy. Maybe if I wasn't poked so many times by those needles, who knows what kind of sicknesses might have befallen me! Who knows if it would have affected the quality of the life I live? Sure, I may have listened when I was sick or hurt, but I may have been able to prevent the future injury with a little bit of prior preventative measures.

Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles stated in this past General conference, quoting C.S. Lewis, "C. S. Lewis, the striving, pragmatic Christian writer, poignantly framed the issue. He asserted that Christianity tells people to repent and promises them forgiveness; but until people know and feel they need forgiveness, Christianity does not speak to them. He stated, 'When you know you are sick, you will listen to the doctor.'"

This is so true. Most will only listen to the doctor when they are sick. likewise, most will look for forgiveness when they find they need it. But I would encourage you all to not wait until you need repentance to seek the Savior of the world. Study His words and ponder in your hearts His message. Christ and His teachings will help prevent sorrow, heartache, and regret with love, peace, and joy. Why wait when you are sick to get healthy? Why not get healthier and feel better than you ever have before? I promise that doing so will bring you added happiness and spiritual growth in your life and will help prevent you from the influence of the adversary. 


No comments:

Post a Comment